Chicken Boy Shop and Future Studio Gallery are open by appointment--just call 323-254-4565, and arrange a time. It's a casual, drop-in type deal (no hard selling here) so you can come and see the art show du jour and browse the ever-evolving Chicken Boy merchandise selection. The shop is ever-evolving, now featuring vintage items and a lot of unique gift items. Of course, there are lots of Chicken Boy souvenirs, a small but quality selection of books and greeting cards, and a selection of items either made in Highland Park or about Highland Park. We also maintain an online shop, but there's a bunch more stuff at the cinderblock & mortar shop...
In the gallery, you'll find changing art shows and a selection of small, original, affordable works.
Find us at 5558 N. Figueroa Street, Los Angeles CA 90042. We are also open by appointment (call 323-254-4565).
Thanks LA Observed for the mention/link to Westways' story on Muffler Men. BTW, it's pretty incredible how many people have mentioned to us they saw Chicken Boy in Westways, it must be the most popular magazine in California!
ABC7 local news is spreading information that may lead to more chicken consumption. Chicken Boy would like to take this opportunity to support marriage equality but possibly with a different entree selection. Thank you.
Think Clean, Go Clean ECO Art Contest & Festival took place August 27 in Carson. Presented by JPy Magazine and sponsored by South Coast Air Quality Management District. Chicken in the Clouds won first place.
“Much of my work conceptually deals with the environment and with air and water in particular. Our collaborative piece "Chicken in the Clouds" plays with the concept of looking up at the sky seeing animal forms in the clouds as we did as children and with the story of Chicken Little--"the sky is falling," a fallacy--Disney's rendition--the sky really is falling. Our rendition takes it a step further--the chicken is part of the sky as are we when we breathe it and drink the water that comes from it. We can clean it up--be carried along by it and be part of the air or we have no support--no being at all. (Plus which the medium is re-purposed packing material.)
Amy Inouye has a strong chicken icon connection since through herculean efforts she rescued the Chicken Boy statue from a chicken restaurant demolition downtown and installed it on the roof of her Future Studio Gallery in Highland Park. Her chicken head on "Chicken in the Clouds" is not only made from an afghan that her mother began but its supporting basket was left at her gallery by a homeless man who collects bottles to recycle for survival.
Danielle's sounds of rain, thunder and music greatly enhanced the power and effectiveness of the message that air, water and we are not only interdependent but are one.”
It was the 66th Annual NE LA Holiday Parade today (Dec. 5), and we got invited to ride along. It was great fun waving, peace-signing, LA-signing, and flapping our wings. Thanks Stuart, Richard, our driver Jesus, and TK who shot this photo. Happy Holidays Highland Park!
(12) CB Gazette: Dec. 2016 Time Love LA Awards, Vintage Photos & Collectibles Sale Dec.--weird, strange, and unusual holiday gifting/home decor, Tap-o-Ween, NELA Holiday Parade
(11) CB Gazette: Nov. 2016 Nature: My POV, Photos by Pat Quinn; Spotlight on Chicken Boy; Mark Calendars for Dec. photo sale; Low-tech theft protection
(10) CB Gazette: Oct 2016 Future Studio Gallery opens again! “Your Heart Is One of My Kittens” (New Paintings by Krystine Kryttre); Coming soon: 2016 LA International Route 66 Festival; book publication: “LA's Legendary Retaurants”; Haunted Harvest Festival, “Seeing Downtown” photography talk
(09) CB Gazette: Sept. 2016 Defining Ourselves: A Matriarchy of Artists; Krystine Kryttre New Paintings at Future Studio Gallery in Oct.; Karla Klarin at CSUN Art Gallery; some fab new books, and NEON STUFF!
(08) CB Gazette: Aug. 2016 Defining Ourselves: A Matriarchy of Artists (opening Sept 1 at The Muck); Remembering the 1984 LA Olympics and looking forward to the Rio Olympics this month; CB is a Poke Stop; Happy Belated Birthday Book Booth Highland Park
(07) CB Gazette: July 2016 More great photos from LAPL Photo Collection, and you’re invited to an exhibit of some of them which will feature a fashion show!
(05) CB Gazette: May 2016 May is Asian American Heritage Month--here's a bunch of (mostly) free events to celebrate; Guess the Secret Word; make sure you're registered to vote; mark your calendar for Fish Outta Water workshops and parade
(07) CBGazette: July 2015 NE Wellness Center's Positive Visions Art & Cookie Sale; Repaint Chicken Boy update; Book Booth Highland Park celebrates its 5th birthday; weigh in on the future of the Southwest Museum...
(06) CB Gazette: June 2015 See you in July, LAPD '53, Our Neighbor Ariel Pink, Repaint Chicken Boy Update, History of Bunker Hill exhibit at LAPL
(05) CB Gazette: May 2015 Taking a little time off from the gallery; Stuff I Found at Dollar Tree; Chicken Origami pattern; About North Figueroa Association
(04) CB Gazette: April 2015 April artist: Carm Goode “39 Books,” Highland Park Route 66 stuff, Repaint Chicken Boy, Anne Williams’ bitchin’ Chicken Boy skateboard deck
(03) CB Gazette: March 2015 March 14, 2015 is super Pi Day, sale of artists' collections, photos fro The Scream photo op, Repaint Chicken Boy, coming to the gallery April 2015
(02) CB Gazette: Feb. 2015 HP Real Estate and The Scream; Repaint Chicken Boy! Relighting the Historic Signs of Figueroa Street Update; A Proust Questionnaire; Found at Dollar Tree