Incredibly, we've never had a portrait show of Chicken Boy...until now! We'll have two big chances to see this fun art show:
Saturday, Feb. 6 from 10am to 8pm--it's FIG JAM--a Celebration of No. Figueroa Street's Past, Present & Future--presented by Great Streets LA and North Figueroa Association. It's like a big open house on No. Fig--there will be free tastings from several local restaurants, music programmed by Stone's Throw Records, theatre programmed by Teatro Arroyo, shops and restaurants will have specials, there will be community booths and demonstration bike lanes, and lots more free, family friendly activities. Not only will we be showing many portraits of our buddy, but we will have tastings of fig jams throughout the day. We'll have map guide schedules, so start your Fig Jam day here.
Saturday, Feb. 13 from 7-10pm--we'll be open for NELA Art's Second Saturday Gallery Night. Chicken Boy Shop will be open for weird, strange, and unusual Valentine's Day giftware.
Artists include: Teenie Duchamp • Kristen Johanessen • Roseanne Kleinerman • Lyn Mayer • Ted Meyer • Corey Miller • Janet Olenik • Barbara Thomason • Louisa Van Leer • Katsu Yokoyama • and more! The exhibit includes photos, paintings, Lego art, sculptural pieces, a painted balalaika, crop art, and prints.
The show will be on exhibit by appointment to at least the end of the month after these two events. BTW, soon we will have a neon window sign which will be lit up when the shop is open. Little by little, we are going to be open more regularly than just for openings...
So, okay, we made up the “Starring” part. They came by, but didn't knock on the door (and, BTW, our phone number and QR codes are also on the door). We got a lead-in or lead-out to commercial, and no mention by name or location, but we'll take it! Thank you Eye on L.A., please come back and visit us sometime...
We have referred to Chicken Boy as the Statue of Liberty of Los Angeles for decades. And we have been fine with our below-the-radar grooviness for like almost 30 years. Discerning pop culture enthusiasts, Route 66ers, little kids, downtown denizens from when it was smellier (CB lived on Broadway near 5th St. until 1984), and, well, just a wide range of super-cool & nice people have contacted us through the years with their Chicken Boy stories and admiration. And now this--Santa Monica based public radio station KCRW has ID'd Mr Boy for their new ad campaign. Other LA stuff they're using: Watts Towers and the binocular building. We are happy to be in such distinguished landmark company, but, we're the funniest, right? So far we've spotted bus benches in Chinatown and Hollywood, and this one across the street from Disney Hall on Grand. A friend saw it on the back of a bus. We wish we could say we were finally achieving our dream of selling out, but all we are getting is a different kind of street cred. We'll keep dreaming...
Appearing at Mr Ts Bowl this Friday, April 19, 2013. We'll try and remember to turn the lights on Mr Boy, saying hello to the band. This poster was posted right outside the studio... we took it down so we could scan it (and keep it), but now we're sending it out so maybe even more people can see it... and go!
Chicken Boy Shop and Future Studio Gallery are open by appointment--just call 323-254-4565, and arrange a time. It's a casual, drop-in type deal (no hard selling here) so you can come and see the art show du jour and browse the ever-evolving Chicken Boy merchandise selection. The shop is ever-evolving, now featuring vintage items and a lot of unique gift items. Of course, there are lots of Chicken Boy souvenirs, a small but quality selection of books and greeting cards, and a selection of items either made in Highland Park or about Highland Park. We also maintain an online shop, but there's a bunch more stuff at the cinderblock & mortar shop...
In the gallery, you'll find changing art shows and a selection of small, original, affordable works.
Find us at 5558 N. Figueroa Street, Los Angeles CA 90042. We are also open by appointment (call 323-254-4565).
(07) CBGazette: July 2015 NE Wellness Center's Positive Visions Art & Cookie Sale; Repaint Chicken Boy update; Book Booth Highland Park celebrates its 5th birthday; weigh in on the future of the Southwest Museum...
(06) CB Gazette: June 2015 See you in July, LAPD '53, Our Neighbor Ariel Pink, Repaint Chicken Boy Update, History of Bunker Hill exhibit at LAPL
(05) CB Gazette: May 2015 Taking a little time off from the gallery; Stuff I Found at Dollar Tree; Chicken Origami pattern; About North Figueroa Association
(04) CB Gazette: April 2015 April artist: Carm Goode “39 Books,” Highland Park Route 66 stuff, Repaint Chicken Boy, Anne Williams’ bitchin’ Chicken Boy skateboard deck
(03) CB Gazette: March 2015 March 14, 2015 is super Pi Day, sale of artists' collections, photos fro The Scream photo op, Repaint Chicken Boy, coming to the gallery April 2015
(02) CB Gazette: Feb. 2015 HP Real Estate and The Scream; Repaint Chicken Boy! Relighting the Historic Signs of Figueroa Street Update; A Proust Questionnaire; Found at Dollar Tree